posted by davek on Jul 31
Today we step onto the campus of President William McKinley High School in Honolulu and look at a statue of their namesake. The high school was officially established in 1865 as the “Fort Street English Day School”. In 1907 the school moved to Beretania and Victoria Streets and was renamed after President McKinley whose influence helped bring about the annexation of the Hawaiian Islands to the United States. This statue was commissioned for $8,000 and dedicated on February 23, 1911. In 1923 the school was moved to its present site at 1039 South King Street. It is listed on both State and National Register of Historical Places.